Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

Saudi Arabia blames Iran for supplying projectiles for rebel missile attacks, a charge Teheran rejects. Snapchat footage taken in Riyadh shows distinctive white and brown clouds of smoke in the sky.

Saudi media reported that Saudi Arabia's air defence forces intercepted three ballistic missiles over Riyadh on Wednesday, after at least three blasts were heard in the capital city.

According to Al Masirah TV, which is run by the Houthis, the missile was aimed at the defense ministry.

Colonel Turki al-Maliki, the spokesman for the Arab Coalition Forces fighting in Yemen, said that at 7:40 am local time air defense systems detected an object and dealt with it accordingly.

Saudi-owned broadcaster Al Arabiya TV confirmed Saudi Arabia had been forced to intercept a ballistic missile launched by Yemen's Houthis towards the southern city of Jizan.




The arms monitor Conflict Armament Research (CAR) said it had evidence showing the Qasef-1 and other Houthi kit was made in Iran and was not of indigenous design and construction "in contrast to Houthi statements".

The facility reportedly belonged to the oil massive Saudi Aramco.

Qasef 1 is a drone aircraft previously unveiled by the militant rebel group.

However, sources in Abha'a airport said the airport has stopped flights for security reasons following the drone attacks on Saudi Aramco.

Like this story? Share it with a friend!

Related Articles