Burning spider causes apartment fire in Redding

Burning spider causes apartment fire in Redding

The attempt turned to disaster, however, when the flaming spider fled into a mattress, setting it on fire.

The building was damaged and residents will have to stay elsewhere for a while, but no one was hurt.

Lyndsey Wisegarver told AJC.com, one of the residents was trying to kill the spider in an upstairs bedroom. The tenants extinguished that fire, but by then it had spread to a flag collection and window curtains.

In an effort to kill it, the resident set the arachnid ablaze with a torch lighter.

The residents unsuccessfully tried to quench the blaze using a garden hose but, before long, a fire was raging in the room.

Everybody was able to get out safely but Redding Fire Battalion Chief Rob Pitt said the apartment is now uninhabitable.

Firefighters estimate the damage to the apartment to be around $11,000.

This guy from California falls firmly into the latter group, because when he spotted a large spider in his bedroom, he decided the best course of action was to pull out his trusty torch lighter and burn the little bugger.

Apparently, Wisegarver said they've been thinking about moving for a while.

Firefighters threw wet clothing and other items out of the building Sunday as they mopped up after the fire.

She told the newspaper they had been keen to move out anyway.

"We'll make it work", she said, the Searchlight reported.

Related Articles